Thursday, August 14, 2008

New friends

I finally met the rest of the family when they returned home from vacation Thursday night and it was great.  I ended up hanging out with two of their girls (age 4 and 6) for about an hour.  Here are some highlights:
  • Fished a tomato out of their fish pond for the 4 year.  She then rinsed it off in the hose and ate it.
  • Pushed the 4 year old on the swing for about 10 hours.  It was only 15 minutes but it felt like that.  She's a tough negotiator when it comes to "number of pushes left until the new guy can leave."
  • I was challenged to go all the way across all the monkey bars (about 8 feet).  Somehow I made it without completely splintering both my hands.
  • Watched them both dribble the basketball and do their best moves.  They both used the word 'cool' to describe it about 57 times each in the span of 2 minutes.
  • Listened to the 4 year old stress out about her packed schedule the next day.  She wasn't sure how to fit in "playing on the swing" while she was already planning on sleeping in, coloring in bed, jumping on the trampoline, more coloring, AND riding her bike.  I could only offer my sympathy.
  • And finally, as I began to walk away from the house to go running, I had this final exchange with the 4 year old: 

Her: Are you leaving your car?
Me: Yes...I won't need it to go running!
Her: If you leave it in the street, it'll get stolen.
Me: Well, that's where your dad told me to park it.
Her: Well, you should listen to him I guess, but if you, it'll get stolen.
Me: I think it'll be okay, it hasn't gotten stolen yet.

So as I started to jog away, she yelled this:

"I'll pray for ya.  God bless ya!"

Should be a fun time living here :)

2 comments:

Alison said...

aww. she sound so cute and nice!! i hope your haveing a great time with your new family

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.