Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Stuff

I spent most of Monday without my cell phone, having accidentally left it in Grand Rapids after visiting with Shan's family for Easter.  So that means that I also spent most of Monday anxious and uncomfortable and slightly (okay, moderately) less equipped to go through the day without my cell phone.  And right around 4 PM I realized how ridiculous I am.  How can I be that worked up about not having my cell phone?  It's just a cell phone, right?  Obviously I'm less reachable and unable to communicate with people, which are both important things.  And it's incredibly inconvenient.  But really, it's not a big deal.  The day will still happen.  And it did.

I wish I wasn't like that.  I wish my heart wasn't tied so tightly to things that it doesn't need to be.  I thought about some other things that I would be at least slightly upset that I didn't have with me / didn't know where it was for at least a day.  Here's a brief list, in no particular order:
  • MacBook
  • Bible (either of the 2)
  • Wallet (including everything it contains)
  • Keys
  • REI jacket
  • North Face winter hat
Class is starting so I need to wrap this up, but I guess the point of my rambling is that I was also able to think about the other things my heart really cares about.  Like really cares about.  Like God.  And people.  And relationships.  And MSU basketball (just kidding...kind of).  I'm hoping to go through the rest of the week and the rest of my life focusing more on the important things rather than the unimportant.  

(Not that wallets and car keys are unimportant)  

All this makes me think of this verse, and I'll leave you with it.

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Co 4:18

1 comment:

Emily Moiseeff said...

ughh... chris i had a day like that a few weeks ago. Same thing... I left my phone at home and drove myself nuts b/c of the amount of times I thought about it... once i realized i had in fact left my overly dependent piece of technology at home i fixated on it... talk about annoying.

i've started to purposely leave it places... I think it's therapeutic.... but it sounds like you've already got yourself in the right place from the blog :)