Monday, September 15, 2008

Beautiful weekend for football

This weekend I was part of two fantastic football games.  Saturday afternoon Shan and I, along with some of our friends, spent the first half of our afternoon sitting in good ole Spartan Stadium.  It had been way too long since I was there for a game, and this past weekend was probably my best opportunity this season.  

I don't think I've ever seen it rain so hard for so long, and but I can't imagine having as much fun in a rainstorm as I did.  We gathered all the rain gear we could find, picked up some free tickets from a friend, and found our seats perfectly located in row 3 of the upper deck.  And it was great.  The pageantry of college football is unlike anything else, and "Thunderstruck" will always bring about an adrenaline rush.

So we sat and stood and yelled and cheered and sang the fight song over and over for 3 and a half hours.  Not surprisingly, we left a little soaked, but I don't think all the rain gear in the world had a chance that day.  And after 43 carries and 282 yards from Javon Ringer, we left satisfied with a 17-0 shutout of FAU.

Last night was the opening game for the Grosse Pointe South Red Barons.  I've been helping out with coaching this 8th grade team for the past month and I've absolutely loved it.  We had a bye the first week, so the anticipation of a season opener has been on my mind for a while.  We opened away against Macomb, one of the better teams in the league.  With about a two dozen loyal and loving parents watching both teams, we kicked off under a relentless blanket of rain.  After 3 quarters of sloppy but hard-nosed football, we held onto 13-0 lead.  Unfortunately I had to leave early to get to a YL meeting, but I'm excited to hear a full report at practice tomorrow!

Hopefully after reading this you'll get a taste of how great these games were.  I really don't think there are any words to describe how much rain fell on my head and how much joy was in my heart.  

No comments: