Monday, December 24, 2007

Gift Giving

At least in America, it seems like gifts and presents are still as synonymous, if not more, with Christmas, than the birth of Jesus Christ. And despite the best efforts of so many Christians, this still seems to be the case. By the way, how many commas did I just use? Geeeeeeez.

But as I sat in church this evening, a thought popped into my heart. I think, in efforts to move gifts and presents out of the limelight of Christmas, I've at least, in part, denied myself of experiencing the gift of, well, gifts. I've always bought presents for my family because I had to. And I used to buy a gift or two for a certain girl here of there because I liked her and somehow thought that whatever cheesy gift I bought may increase my chances of scoring a date. But now, I buy gifts because I love people and because I like figuring out ways to bring a little bit of joy and happiness to those whom I love. I've put some thought into what I've bought this year, and also have stumbled upon some gifts, and I'm excited to give them. If you don't get something from me this year, please know that I wish I could have.

One of the great revelations of my life that has come with my faith journey was that December 25 is not the actual date of birth of Jesus. The thought that follows that is obviously, why can't everyday be Christmas? And I remember a couple summers ago, hiking through Colorado with some high school kids, celebrating our own "Christmas" out on the trail. We gathered in a circle, broke bread together, and told each other why we appreciated each other and how we saw God move through that mini community in only a few days. It was incredible.

I think that the Kingdom of Heaven is something that we should be experiencing now, not just in Heaven when we leave this world. Once again, why can't Christmas be every day?

Today, tomorrow, the rest of break, and hopefully every day after that, think about the gifts that you have received from God, the tangible ones as well as the unseen. Talents, abilities, qualities...these all count. And think about those around you and the gifts that they have received. Then spend some time having conversations with these people about the gifts you see in them, and then talk about the gift we all have received, which is obviously Jesus. We all need reminders, and we all need to be told about the gifts we have that we have either have forgotten about or simply did not realize we possess.

Happy gift-giving.

3 comments:

Alison said...

ok so your pic just makes me laugh a hole lot! it puts a smile on my face!

Meredith said...

glad to be considered one worthy of receiving a gift from you. i will enjoy the blanket a lot. hope you're loving the applesauce!

Alison said...

umm i got a digital camra and an Ipod. those were my fav/ biggest gifts.