Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Word

Don't you love those moments when your heart and mind stumble upon a remarkable piece of truth or begin to understand a previously confusing thought or idea? I just had one of those moments.

One of the many things I learned from listening to Dale Bruner teach is the idea of Jesus being The Word. John 1 says: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Here we learn that Jesus is God's Word. For most us (excluding those who believe they can "read" people), we have no idea what someone is actually thinking until they start talking. The person of Jesus Christ is God talking to us, and because of His resurrection, He is still talking. As soon as the Word became flesh, we could know what God thinks through His Word.

Later, in verse 4, John writes: "In him was life, and that life was the light of men." Putting 1 + 1 together, I end up with Jesus = Word = light.

John's decision to use of "In the beginning" to begin his gospel naturally points readers back to Genesis 1, which begins in the same manner: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Then, in verse 3, God begins speaking Creation. What follows the first "God said" phrase? "Let there be light...."

I'm not sure how, but this transforms my understanding of "In him was life, and that life was the light of men." I know it does.

Okay back to my paper. I'd share more thoughts, but I need to get serious about this paper. Also, I'm not sure that I have any more thoughts, at least any that make enough sense to include in this blog.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Brian Osisek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Osisek said...

Chris, great article on the living word, Jesus.

Just started a blog with a series on what is the mission of the church,and communication.

Stop by and tell me what you think:
http://christianmusings-brian.blogspot.com/