Monday, April 6, 2009

White-Out

It's 2:48 PM and I'm wearing two tickets to tonight's game around my neck. You know, the kind of ticket that is 3 times bigger than normal tickets. The kind that come in a plastic holder strung on a lanyard that hangs around your neck. The kind that people in their 50's have framed with their other big-game tickets in their basement next to the pool table. Yeah, that kind.

MSU is asking for everyone to participate in a "white-out" of Ford Field. Appropriate because of the snow, and it's just an MSU tradition for big games. Awesome.

I'm kind of happy it snowed. Obviously it sucks driving, shoveling, and looking for your hat and gloves that you (confidently) put away three weeks ago. But I like the setting it creates for tonight's game. THIS is what the state of Michigan is like right now. THIS is what it's like in the city of Detroit. Yes, the Detroit Public School system is over $300 million in deficit, and yes, they may have to close 50 schools because of that. It's cold and wet and dreary and unpleasant here in Detroit.

If I knew how to convey my excitement for tonight here, I would. I'm excited for the game. I'm excited to be back down there again to cheer for MSU with over 50,000 others. To give our boys a standing ovation whether they win or don't win tonight. To walk the streets before and after the game, proud of what the city did to get ready for this and for Michigan State University and what they did to get there.

So I say bring on the snow. Bring on the Tar Heels. Welcome to Detroit.

And Go Green.

1 comment:

Rico Detroit said...

The final game took a little wind out of my sails, but otherwise: man, what a run. That was fun. :)