Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Old Man Oakland

During my 4+ years as a Young Life leader, I've met a few people that have thought I was younger or older than I was at the time.  My freshman year in college, some high school kids thought I was the father of small child I was walking around with (who happened to be Luke Granger).  I've also been mistaken as either a junior or senior in high school several times.  And then just this past year, a sophomore in high school.  And now, just this past Sunday, this conversation happened with a Red Barons coach of one of our younger teams as we watched the 8th grade team play:

Coach: So do you have a boy out there playing right now?
Me: Umm no...I just graduated from Michigan State.

Old enough to be the father of a 13 year old?  I've never been more honored.

2 comments:

lu said...

LOL! So how does that work with you being Luke's father?

I only ever got that I look younger - way younger. Like people giving me pity stares or even sometimes glares because they assumed I was a pregnant teenage mother.

And most people assume that James is a good bit older than me too (I'm sure he loves that) when in reality I am a year (11 months and 5 days to be precise) older than him.

Katie said...

No one has EVER thought I'm that old.
Maybe you should start using big words like diagnostician and hitherto, to go with your new OLD MAN identity.