Saturday, June 21, 2008

Great Expectations

*Just for the record, this post has nothing to do with Charles Dickens or Gwyneth Paltrow.  I've never read the book or seen the movie.  Come to think of it, I don't know anyone that has ever read the book or seen the movie.  At least as far as I know*

So as I'm sure EVERYONE is aware, the Celtics beat the Lakers, which means my favorite player (Kevin Garnett) won his first title.  He's been my favorite player for a long time now, and I'm truly happy he won.  It might be lame that I'm genuinely excited for a basketball player who makes more money per week than I will in my life, but there's something cool about seeing a man who has worked his tail off, made the most of my God-given abilities, and is passionate and respectful achieve his dream.  

I read a Bill Simmons article about his thoughts on the last game, and I read this quote about Paul Pierce, the Finals MVP.

"We spend so much time complaining about sports and being disappointed that our favorite players never end up being who we wanted them to be, but in Pierce's case, he became
 everything we wanted him to be."

(Throughout his entire career, Paul Pierce has been much maligned for selfish play and attitude, but over the past few years, and especially this, he has played incredible all-around basketball and been a great teammate and leader.)

My first thought after reading this quote: "good point Bill, because I do that too."  My second thought after reading this quote: "That seems true of my life."

Over the past few years of being a follower of Jesus, I've become frustrated at the chasm between who I really am and who I really want to be.  Like one of my favorite Jars of Clay songs, those two people were worlds apart.  And that frustration was the building block of a wall that prevented me from ever becoming everything my Creator created me to be.

Complaining and disappointment are normal.  But just because they are normal doesn't mean it's good.  Complaints and disappointments are inevitable products of trying to do-it-yourself attitude.  I thought that I could just work on some things, change my life around, and be more like Jesus.  But at some point I reached this conclusion that I just couldn't do that.  I couldn't change without Him.  It's not to say that I am allowed to sit on the couch and wait for Jesus to wave a wand over my head.  

I'm 22 and graduated from college.  There's an obvious life transition that is about to happen, and I feel Jesus changing me.  From the inside out.  It's a cool thing.  I hope you can experience that.  Jesus is changing our hearts all the time.  We just have to let it happen.


No comments: